Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Usefulness of the Cause and Effect Website

I thought that the Cause and Effect website was extremely helpful. It makes it so much easier for me and perhaps a few others to understand something when it is organized and that is exactly what was presented on the website. Everything was explained in simple terms and in great detail so just about anyone could understand the material and take something from it. I also really liked how the author of the website took the examples that he or she gave and broke them down and provided reasoning behind each one of why it would be better or worse and whatnot. Additionally, the exercises that came along with the website were very useful and beneficial to the reader. They were a good variety of questions that asked each reader about what they had learned in the passage and challenged them to think about what would be the right answer instead of what most exercises do by making it so simple that the answer is obvious.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your statement. The site that the professor gave us was really useful. I got what the book was telling me, but what made me understand cause and effect reasoning clearer is the cause and effect website. The cause and effect website had a lot of information and at the end; it has a little quiz game that we can play. I liked it because it is like a quiz to see if we understood what the information was talking about. I thought that the exercise in the end was the most helpful part of the site. And I agree with you that everyone should be able to understand the material on the site because the way the site is set up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. I totally agree with your blog. I found that the website for Cause and Effect was very helpful. I think that you did a good job explaining what you liked about the site. As for me, I also included the exercises that they had on the site to help people with. I thought the questions were straight to the point. Even if there were any problems, there were examples and answers to help people understand the concepts better, which I thought was great. I wish the professor would have given us this website before, because all the topics we went over in class was all on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everyone. The cause and effect website has paragraphs that make it easy for the reader to understand as it is divided in segments. The bolding of certain words also makes it easier for key elements to be focused on and recognized. The hyperlinks take you to actually evidence from the author's study, which backs up his claims. Throughout the paragraphs the author asks questions that make the reader think, for example, “How can we know that there is really only one significant difference?”; this forces the reader to apply the info he/she is reading and make sure they understand it. At the end he isolates his three factors of the causal argument that gives the readers an idea of what his purpose was for writing.

    ReplyDelete