Thursday, November 4, 2010

Appeal to Emotion Continued

One idea that I thought was interesting that I found in the reading was the box on page 194 at the very bottom that stated “An appeal to emotion in an argument with a prescriptive conclusion can be good or can be bad.” On the next page, the box in the middle states that “Any appeal to emotion with a descriptive conclusion is bad, if the appeal cannot be deleted as premise.” I found this to be very interesting because in previous chapters, we have learned that we are supposed to elaborate in communication, yet in this chapter, it is telling us to avoid giving as much detail as possible in order to use the concept of appeal to emotion correctly in a discussion. Although what the textbook is saying makes sense, I found it very interesting because I sometime catch myself not giving as much detail as I normally would in order to make a good argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment