Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fallacy of Composition

One concept that I had found in Epstein’s text was towards the end of the chapter. The concept fallacy of composition is when the truth of an individual is also true for a group of individuals in an argument. This concept could also ring true if the truth for a group of individuals is also true for one individual. This concept can be seen in reasoning by analogy because most individuals come up with their analogies from groups and individuals. However, since the groups and individuals are so different it sometimes is too good to be true for the analogy to be valid. Although this concept is not discussed in detail in the text, I still thought it was interesting because I have not been able to find an example in my life because throughout this entire course, I have always been able to find an example in my life however this is the one time I have not been able to.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked reading your post. It went straight to the point. I liked how you also referred to the book and explained what area in the book it was so that I could also read along with your post.I liked how you explained how the concept can be seen in reason by analogy and how you explained how an individual can understand the reasoning. I think that it would have been nice for you to give one of the examples in your life that go along with this form of reasoning. It would have made the ending of your blog a little more interesting. But besides that. I enjoyed your blog and it was nice to read. Good job:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I liked your post about fallacy of composition. I like how you gave the definition on what is was and what it meant. I think you explained it very well and it was easy to understand. If someone did not understand it while reading it they definitely would understand if they read your post. It is very clear about what fallacy of composition is. I like how you related this to being seen in reason by analogy. I also like how you said that you thought this concept was still interesting even though you could not find an example from your life. Because like you said in every other thing we learn about you could usually find an example from your life. I also liked reading your blog because I did not really understand all the way what fallacy of analogy is. But after reading your post I understand a little more than I did before.

    ReplyDelete