Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chapter 7

In Chapter 7 of Epstein’s text, I learned that by raising objections in an argument, you are pointing out that the reason is invalid and therefore bad. By raising objections, individuals are creating another argument which is either calling the idea doubtful or is showing the other individuals who are involved in the conversation that the argument presented was extremely weak. If an individual “knocks off” an objection to your argument, it can be seen as smaller argument within the bigger argument that was first brought up. I found this very interesting because everyone does this on a daily basis without even knowing it. I personally do this countless times throughout my day and it goes unnoticed. After doing the reading and posting this blog, I was able to see how this really does ring true in arguments, both strong and weak, valid and invalid, that surface in everyday life.

2 comments:

  1. You did a good job on the post on summarizing Chapter 7 of Epstein's text. You made it short and simple that was easy to read and understand. It's true that we have objected arguments every day without noticing it. I thought the same thing too after reading it because it happens all the time to me! I always hear others' objections and it can go on and on like there's no tomorrow. We like to make our opinions strong by defending it and knocking the other argument down as a persuasion of our view point. We will always go through a series of counterarguments throughout our life time. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I liked your post on raising objections. I think you did a really good job on explaining what raising objections are. I like how you made it easy to understand. You didn't have to much going on that made it a hard read. You gave very good details on what raising the objection is. If somebody did not understand they could read your post and understand. I also liked how you said people do this in everyday life without noticing because that is very true. I myself do it all the time and never realize what I am doing. Maybe since I have read this I will start to realize when I do it. This was a very good post. Thank You

    ReplyDelete