Thursday, December 9, 2010

Generalizations

One section that I thought was interesting in Epstein’s text was the section on generalizations. Individuals generalize when they conclude a claim about a collection of ideas, which is called the population, from a statement about one of the ideas, which is called the sample. Additionally, when individuals make a general claim the conclusion to an idea it can be called a generalization. Just about everyone generalizes on a daily basis. I think that this is interesting because this is done without knowing and is not thought and planned out. After taking this class, I was able to see that concepts like these are used in everyday life. Now that I know these concepts, I can not only apply them, but better educate others who might not know how to make a better argument or may not know how to communicate something effectively. It is times like these where I feel grateful for being fortunate enough to have a good education behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment