Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Subjective Claims and Objective Claims

Subjective claims are statements that are based upon personal opinions that reflect how the individual or group of individuals “think, believe, or feel” (Epstein 20). One of my friends and I are planning an event and we were discussing centerpieces and decorations. Since the theme of the event is a tea party, I had pictured a simple, small bouquet of pretty flowers that would go along with the garden theme while my friend imagined a bigger center piece. I told her that the big centerpiece would fit well because, in my opinion, large centerpieces are for evening events indoors while our event was during the day and outdoors. This would be a subjective claim because I told her my opinion about her idea and although it was a good idea, I believe it wasn’t the right look we were going for.


On the other hand, objective claims are statements that do not convey opinions but give specifics. Because objective claims state “impersonal standards,” they focus on events and facts (Epstein 20). Another example could be seen in the event that my friend and I are planning. A few days ago, we were making a list with everything that we needed to order and one of the items on the list was tables. We decided that we needed about twenty tables so that the guests at the event would be able to have a place to sit and have their tea. This would be an objective claim because it is stating a simple fact, not an opinion or belief.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your subjective claim. It is what you think and feel, which is your belief or your opinion. You felt that big centerpieces did not look right and both agreed on it. I also agree with your claim. In my opinion, I do think that it is better to have big centerpieces indoors during the evening. It just looks much better that way. I liked how you did not take someone else’s words and use it as your own. I liked how you gave credit to the author. The objective claim is also good. I personally think that it can be a subjective claim as well, because you said “We decided that we needed about twenty tables so that the guests”. The words “needed and about” makes the sentence feel like it is just a guess, but I can be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you explained subjective and objective claims. You gave definitions out of the book with citations good way to not plagiarize. I liked the subjective example you gave about the centerpieces. That was a good example because you definitely gave your opinion about what you thought looked better. With your example I understood what a subjective claim is. People don't realize how many subjective and objective claims you use a day. If we payed attention we would realize that we use a lot on a daily basis. Your example that you gave on objective claims was also good.Thanks for your examples.

    ReplyDelete