Friday, September 17, 2010

Structure of Arguments

2. I am on my way to school (1). I left five minutes late (2). Traffic is heavy (3). Therefore, I’ll be late for class (4). So I might as well stop and get breakfast (5).

Argument: Yes
Conclusion: Should not rush to school because there is heavy traffic so might as well get breakfast.
Additional premises needed? Instead of rushing to school and missing class, might as well take your time and relax. Rushing will not only stress an individual out, but it will cause a chaotic mess as well.
Identify any subargument: Sentences 2 and 3 support sentence 4. Sentences 2, 3, and 4 support sentence 5.
Good argument? I think that this is a good argument, however, it could be better. However,

I think that this exercise was alright. It certainly was not one of my favorite assignments, however, it was not as bad as it could have been. It was useful because I had to take a part an argument and this exercise made me do that.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't really like this assignment as much as the other either. But it was definitely helpful in analyzing an argument. I didn't pick that argument because it was kind of confusing, at least more than the others. Reading over your post, you seem to done the assignment correctly. I also agree that while this is a good argument, it could be better. I personally don't believe that because you're five minutes late and that traffic if heavy, are really good enough reasons to stop and get breakfast. Being a little late is way better than showing up near the end of class or not showing up at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This assignment was very helpful in my opinion. It helps you out with locating part of the argument. I thought that this was beneficial because it helps you recognize parts of the arguments and that helps me learn, so I think that this was helpful. This helps you analyze the whole argument and see how everything falls in to place; if it doesn't fit, then you can easily notice it. I don't think getting breakfast would be a good idea especially when it concerns class. Breakfast would make you feel better , but after it is all said and done, you still never managed to make it to class.

    ReplyDelete